I’m sure you’ve scoured the Pinterest boards and Google images looking for fun and easy treats to make for Halloween, right? I’ve seen a million bread dough fingers, gory brains and ooey gooey treats. I wanted to come up with something that was kind of spooky but not really. The little kids don’t want to get grossed out and my Disney Channel goggles won’t allow me to do anything too crazy. So, I thought I’d turn some OREOs into eyeballs and see what I could create.
I think they turned out pretty good. What do YOU think?
This is the 3rd series. We had to experiment to find the best look and the best ingredients to make the eyeballs look right. And of course we had to eat all the “not so great” versions. Ooops, that glob of blue goo is too gooey, must - eat -the -mistakes!
So, here’s what you need to make these eyeball cookies yourself…
- OREO chocolate sandwich cookies – no need for Double Stuff, just regular will do.
- Blue and Green gel decorating icing
- Red gel food coloring
- Black/brown M&Ms or Reeses pieces
- Small paintbrush – a little bigger than a toothpick, but not much.
How to make these OREO eyeballs:
- Carefully remove one of the chocolate cookies from the OREO. YOu will end up with chocolate smudges on the frosting, that’s perfectly fine. Leave it be, don’t try to clean it up.. it will just make a mess.
- Add a glob (very scientific measurement) of gel icing.
- Place 1 M&M in the center of the icing.
- Put a small dab of red food coloring in a bowl or on a plate, like a painter’s palette. Using a teeny tiny paint brush, carefully paint red vein lines on the white frosting of the OREO.
That’s it. So easy, the kids can help or make them all themselves!
See, I think the red lines make all the difference. We debated and even took a vote on what to do next. Again, we had to eat the rejects… I’m pretty sure I gained an extra pound just making this treat, and for no other reason than because we wanted to.
You can probably use red gel icing for the veins, but I didn’t have any on hand, so the food coloring was the creative winner for the day. You don’t need much. I think you can use a food coloring marketing too… if you try that, let me know!
You could also go crazy and make all kinds of monster or alien eyes using the different flavor OREOs. I think the green mint would be a great alien or dragon eye… the pink strawberry would just be yummy.
More Halloween Treat ideas: