These easy eyeball cookies are one of our favorite Halloween food crafts. This OREO Cookie Eyeballs Halloween Treat DIY aka my OREO eyeballs are fun to make and the kids will definitely love to eat them! You can change up the ingredients a little bit to work with items you can find, but you really don’t need much for this easy cookie recipe other than OREO cookies and different frostings.
Make a big batch of Halloween cookies for the class party or your own Halloween party. Or just make a few for a fun after school snack this October.
OREO Eyeballs Halloween Treat DIY
This is the 3rd series. We had to experiment to find the best look and the best ingredients to make the eyeballs look right. And of course we had to eat all the “not so great” versions. Ooops, that glob of blue goo is too gooey, must – eat -the -mistakes! I think they turned out pretty good. What do YOU think?
How to make OREO eyeball cookies
So, here’s what you need to make these eyeball cookies yourself…
Ingredients and Supplies
- OREO chocolate sandwich cookies – no need for Double Stuff, just regular will do.
- Blue and Green gel decorating gel – I used standard gel, but you could use the sparkle gel too.
- Red gel food coloring – you could use the gel for this also, the color just might not be as intense.
- Black/brown M&Ms or Reeses pieces
- Small paintbrush – a little bigger than a toothpick, but not much. You can use a regular paintbrush, but a “food safe” brush is best.
How to Make OREO Eyeball Halloween Treats
There’s a couple different ways to can make these Halloween OREO cookie eyeballs. Over the years I’ve found, you can change up the projects with different tools and ingredients easily. The kids can help or you can get super crafty and make them yourself. Have fun and let me know how it works for you!
Steps to make OREO eyeball cookies:
- Carefully remove one of the chocolate cookies from the OREO. You will end up with chocolate smudges on the frosting, that’s perfectly fine. Leave it be, don’t try to clean it up.. it will just make a mess.
- Add a glob (very scientific measurement) of gel icing.
- Place 1 M&M in the center of the icing.
- Put a small dab of red food coloring in a bowl or on a plate, like a painter’s palette. Using a teeny tiny paint brush, carefully paint red vein lines on the white frosting of the OREO.
That’s it. So easy, the kids can help or make them all themselves!
See, I think the red lines make all the difference. We debated and even took a vote on what to do next. Again, we had to eat the rejects… I’m pretty sure I gained an extra pound just making this treat, and for no other reason than because we wanted to.
You can probably use red gel icing for the veins, but I didn’t have any on hand, so the food coloring was the creative winner for the day. You don’t need much. I’d tried a food marker for this, it doesn’t work well. The marker ink sticks to the frosting and then the marker gets gooped up with frosting. I’ve tried drawing the red vein lines with food markers and it just doesn’t work as well as food coloring.
How to Make OREO Eyeballs – a video tutorial
Video Tutorial – I’ve created a video to show you how to make these OREO eyeballs too! take a look below for a video showing you how to make OREO eyeballs with Double Stuff Oreos and more mini eyeballs with the bite-sized OREOs. In this video I am using the red gel icing instead of painting with food coloring. This is quicker and a little more kid-friendly (kids and food coloring ya know). Enjoy!
You could also go crazy and make all kinds of monster or alien eyes using the different flavor OREOs. I think the green mint would be a great alien or dragon eye… the pink strawberry would just be yummy.
More Halloween eyeball ideas:
I also have printable eyeball decor you can use to decorate your Halloween Party.
- Make eyeball bat decor plus free printable
- Easy Marshmallow eyeball treats
- Eyeball printables for Halloween projects
A few of my friends have also made some fun eyeball Halloween treats and crafts, take a look.
These rice crispy treat eyeballs look adorable and delicious! Plus they are super simple to create.
Looking for more Halloween Treats and Party Ideas?
Check out this Halloween party fun:
- Halloween Treats
- Halloween Ideas
- Halloween Printables
- Halloween Party Ideas
- 21 Halloween Party Games from Spaceships and Laser Beams
- Halloween Carnival Party Ideas from Play Party Plan
- Cute and Creepy Halloween Cupcakes from Happiness is Homemade
More Halloween Treat ideas:
Shop Halloween with these recommended affiliate partner links: