These easy eyeball cookies are one of our favorite Halloween food crafts. This OREO Cookie Eyeballs Halloween Treat DIY aka my OREO eyeballs are fun to make and the kids will definitely love to eat them! You can change up the ingredients a little bit to work with items you can find, but you really don't need much for this easy cookie recipe other than OREO cookies and different frostings.
Make a big batch of Halloween cookies for the class party or your own Halloween party. Or just make a few for a fun after school snack this October.
OREO Eyeballs Halloween Treat DIY
This is the 3rd series. We had to experiment to find the best look and the best ingredients to make the eyeballs look right. And of course we had to eat all the “not so great” versions. Ooops, that glob of blue goo is too gooey, must – eat -the -mistakes! I think they turned out pretty good. What do YOU think?
Video Tutorial take a look below for a new video showing you how to make OREO eyeballs with Double Stuff Oreos and more mini eyeballs with the bite sized OREOs.
How to make OREO eyeball cookies
So, here's what you need to make these eyeball cookies yourself…
Ingredients and Supplies
- OREO chocolate sandwich cookies – no need for Double Stuff, just regular will do.
- Blue and Green gel decorating gel – I used standard gel, but you could use the sparkle gel too.
- Red gel food coloring – you could use the gel for this also, the color just might not be as intense.
- Black/brown M&Ms or Reeses pieces
- Small paintbrush – a little bigger than a toothpick, but not much. You can use a regular paintbrush, but a “food safe” brush is best.
Skip to the video to watch how to easily create these OREO eyeball cookies.
How to make OREO eyeballs:
- Carefully remove one of the chocolate cookies from the OREO. You will end up with chocolate smudges on the frosting, that's perfectly fine. Leave it be, don't try to clean it up.. it will just make a mess.
- Add a glob (very scientific measurement) of gel icing.
- Place 1 M&M in the center of the icing.
- Put a small dab of red food coloring in a bowl or on a plate, like a painter's palette. Using a teeny tiny paint brush, carefully paint red vein lines on the white frosting of the OREO.
That's it. So easy, the kids can help or make them all themselves!
See, I think the red lines make all the difference. We debated and even took a vote on what to do next. Again, we had to eat the rejects… I'm pretty sure I gained an extra pound just making this treat, and for no other reason than because we wanted to.
You can probably use red gel icing for the veins, but I didn't have any on hand, so the food coloring was the creative winner for the day. You don't need much. I'd tried a food marker for this, it doesn't work well. The marker ink sticks to the frosting and then the marker gets gooped up with frosting. I've tried drawing the red vein lines with food markers and it just doesn't work as well as food coloring.
Continue reading and watch the how to video to make your own OREO eyeballs.
More Halloween eyeball ideas:
- Make eyeball bat decor plus free printable
- Easy Marshmallow eyeball treats
- Eyeball printables for Halloween projects