Here's the must have list of favorite gift ideas for people who love to draw, doodle and color. There are almost as many types of supplies as there are people who love to use them. Whether they love coloring pages or drawing on their own, there are a ton of coloring and drawing materials to choose from. It comes down to preference. To help you get started, I've compiled a list to help you get started shopping for favorite gift ideas for people who love to draw, doodle and color.
Note: This list was originally published in 2015, I've updated with more great gift ideas.
Gift Ideas for People Who Love
to Draw and Color
Really – there are so many different brands, styles and uses different coloring and drawing materials that you can come up with a great gift, even if you don't know what your recipient's favorite supplies are.
These recommended supplies are great for all ages. If you are buying for younger kids, more kid friend supplies might bit better place to start. But kids as young as 10, who love making art, would definitely love any of these drawing materials.
Remember: if someone has a preference in the drawing or coloring supplies they use, you can always grab them accessories or a gift card. If a package is unopened, your gift recipient should be able to return an item for a product they prefer.
Must Have Coloring and Drawing Supplies
Here's are the drawing and coloring supplies I recommend every enthusiast, beginner or pro, have in their art box. You can grab a handful of specialty colored pencils and a sketchbook to bundle together or find a unique pencil case for the artist on the go. At a minimum, new pens or a new sketchpad are always appreciated. Get creative with your art gift giving!
Good colored pencils, markers and pens – good doesn't always have to be expensive. Some of my favorite tools are Michaels brand art supplies. They are inexpensive and have beautiful results.
Great paper – even more important than the coloring tools is the paper. In my opinion, an artist can do amazing things with average tools.. the surface (paper, canvas, etc.) makes all the difference. You can use a low grade colored pencil on high grade paper and create magic.
Carrying cases and art supply organizers – I use soup cans and boxes for my art supply organizing, however, my dream is a room full of cubbies with box storage. We spend so much money on our drawing and coloring supplies, there's no money left to store it nicely… storage is a great gift!
Art kits – if your drawing/coloring gift is going to a beginner, a kit with a combination of supplies is a great place to start. You can even make your own kit by going to an art store and buying individual items… make a gift basket of fancy pencils and accessories for them to try.
Recommended Coloring and Drawing Art Supplies
I've gathered together some of my favorite art supply recommendations. You can find many of these items at a local art or craft supply. I've linked them here for easy shopping. Just pick your favorites and you're set.
Accessories – Hand held pencil Sharpener, pocket Color Wheel, Pen and Pencil Organizer Box
- Prismacolor Colored Pencils I really like the way Prismacolor colored pencils blend. They are a nice smooth coloring experience and the colors layer on top of eachother well.
- Tombow Dual Brush Markers I love how these pens blend – they are water based so work well with a waterbrush. I used them all the time with my printable art pages.
- Organizing Tote all the supplies in place with a pocket for everything!
- Electric pencil sharpener If you're going to use pencils, they'll eventually need to be sharpened. A handhelp sharpener is nice on the go, but when doing a ton of drawing or coloring, I love having the electric sharpener on hand.
- Pretty Colored Pencils with a roll up carrying case
- Sakura Micron pens – these are my favorite! I LOVE the .03 tip. You can buy individual pens or sets with multiple tip sizes as well as sets with multiple colors. This set includes pens and a pencil – it's a gift all on it's own!
- Sketchbooks – There are tons of different sketchbooks in a variety of sizes, quality and prices. Pick the one you love most. Some of my favorites are: Very Big Sketchbook – because the more the better and Reclaimed paper sketchbook – this is a super cool sketchbook filled with an array of paper. A doodler or an illustrator will love this unique find!
- Stand Up Easel Pencil Holder Some artists like to keep all their supplies tucked away and organized while others like to lay everything out on the table to see. This easel is a great way to keep everything organized and in view at the same time.
- Prismacolor markers – this is a brand that has been around for ages. Great for illustrators and Graphic Designers too. Also take a look at these Fine tip markers for beautiful detail coloring.
- Wood pencil box For the artist you aren't sure which supplies they like best. This pencil box makes a great, unique gift and can double as a gift card holder.
- Coloring books – of course the perfect gift for someone who likes to color is a pile of new coloring books. There are so many beautiful choices, pick your favorite! I also have a coloring book I designed that I think would make a great gift!
- Pretty carrying tote – having a place to store all those coloring books is a great gift idea. I really like this magazine tote, it's small and pretty and perfect for storing coloring books and a little pencil bag.
You could fill a whole gift basket with all kinds of goodies. Add in some of these extra accessories – Hand held pencil Sharpener, pocket Color Wheel, Pen and Pencil Organizer Box
Where to buy coloring and drawing supplies:
- Craft stores
- Art retailers
- Online stores like Amazon, Joann, Michaels and Consumer Crafts.
- Learn a new skill with creative classes from Creativebug
As an additional creative note… If you are shopping for an all around artsy, creative person, I love my Cricut and they might too! Here's a couple ideas for you:
2 thoughts on “Gift Ideas for People Who Love to Draw and Color”
Brilliant list Jen ! I love this so much !
Thank you – I hope you find some fun ideas!