Today, as promised, I’m sharing a scrumptious recipe for a Marshmallow Popcorn Treats recipe you can make to fill the box popcorn treat box printable I shared last week. When I first made the popcorn box DIY project, I wanted to make caramel corn but when I realized I didn’t have any brown sugar on hand – and didn’t want to head to the store to buy any – I improvised. Marshmallows to the rescue!
Marshmallow Popcorn Treats for Halloween
This such a yummy popcorn snack! It’s sweet and salty and all kinds of yumminess. I had bags of marshmallows with great big intentions of roasting marshmallows over a campfire (wow the summer went by fast, didn’t it!?). So I grabbed the marshmallows to see what would happen if I added it with popcorn and OH YUM, I think you’ll love what I came up with. These popcorn treats are a little like marshmallow crispy treats. You can mix in any kind of extra ingredient goodness you’d like, have fun with it!
- 3 cups of popped popcorn
- 1 1/2 cups Honey Nut Cheerios
- 2 cups large marshmallows
- 2 TBS margarine or butter
- 1/2-1 cup candy corn
- Halloween colored sprinkles
Popcorn measurement is approximate, I used 1 package of microwave popcorn for this batch. You can use any kind of popcorn you’d like.
Supplies you’ll need:
- 1 large cooking pot
- 1 baking sheet
- 1 large mixing spoon
How to make popcorn marshmallow treats
- Preheat oven at 350.
- In a large pan, on medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add in the marshmallows and stir continually until melted.
- Pour in the popcorn and Cheerios and gently stir until popcorn is generously covered in marshmallow. Remove from heat.
- Gently stir in 1/4 cup candy corn. This can be tricky as the marshmallow begins to cool, it becomes difficult to mix in anything else. That’s ok, you’ll be able to add more candy corn later.
- Let the mixture cool for about 5 minutes, then gently pull apart into large bite sized pieces. Set each piece on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Add candy corn pieces to each individual popcorn cluster.
- Sprinkle with candy sprinkles. (I used a fall sprinkle mix and little chocolate sprinkles).
- Put in the oven for about 5 minutes. This will slightly melt the candy corn into the popcorn clusters.
- Cool for 30 minutes before serving.
You should end up with individual clusters of marshmallow popcorn yumminess. They are light, crispy and SO delicious without being too too sweet.
Print and make the free printable Halloween popcorn boxes and fill with this popcorn treat and share with your friends!