Add a little romance or maybe a little sparkly magic to your next picnic with pretty paper lanterns. These lanterns look really pretty at nice and are super easy to make if you have a Cricut Explore. I've created a pattern you can use that is available in the Cricut Design Space too. Pick your favorite paper colors and create a lovely little lantern perfect for any occasion! Tip: make sure to use battery operated votive candles – real candles will likely burn the paper.
Materials you need:
- Tissue paper or Vellum
- Battery operated votive candle
- Picnic Lantern cutting file designed by Jen Goode
How to Make a Picnic Lantern with Your Cricut Explore
- Fold lantern bottom flaps along score lines.
- Glue hole reinforcements to the inside of the lantern, overlapping the existing holes. These aren't required, but will help your lantern hold up to any
- Roll the main lantern piece and adhere in place along the edge.
- Fold in two opposite flaps. Do not glue these first two flaps, this will prevent glue from oozing out at the inside bottom of your lantern, keeping the presentation clean and pretty.
- Fold two more opposite flaps and adhere in place.
- Fold the last two flaps in and adhere in place.
- Cut and tie twine through the holes at the top of the lantern.
- Add the lantern insert. Make sure the paper you use for the insert is somewhat translucent so the light can shine through.
- Add the battery operated votive candle. Hang and enjoy!
You can mix and match paper colors to accent whatever event that you'd like. You can even leave out the inside paper layer to create a brighter glow with your lantern. Hang the lanterns from a fence, from a tree branch or set out on the table. Whatever you do, I hope you enjoy atmosphere these lanterns create.
More Cricut Creativity: