I went camping a few years ago and one of the families cooked Carnitas over open fire in a giant pot. It was soooo delicious! I had never had Carnitas so it was a nice food adventure in the wilderness. My husband loves pulled pork, so I learned how to make it and now I’m always looking for easy ways to cook pork roast. This slow cooker carnitas recipe is really simple and can be adapted to your own taste very easily. I think you’ll love it!
Slow Cooker Carnitas
- Pork Roast
- Water – 2 cups per pound of meat (approximate)
- Salsa – 1 cup per pound of meat (approximate)
- Seasoning to taste
- Slow Cooker
- Put the pork roast in the slow cooker.
- Fill the pot to cover half the pork roast.
- Sprinkle seasonings over the roast. I like to use seasoned pepper and a garlic salt mix, you can skip this step if you’d like.
- Pour salsa over the roast, do not stir.
- Cover and let cook on high for 6 hours or until meat pulls apart easily. remove twine from meat and shred the meat with a fork. Stir a bit and let cook another hour.
- You can add more salsa if you’d like.
- Most of the water should have cooked off, but you should have a nice juicy meat with some sauce remaining.
- You can adjust the flavors to your own taste. I like using a nice mild, chunky salsa – and they kid will eat it because it’s not too spicy. For extra flavor you can add chopped onion and other spices to the water mixture before you cook the meat.
I added some sauteed peppers to this batch. Mix it up and see what you like!
Serve up your yummy slow cooker carnitas on tortillas with a side of greens and spanish rice. Save me some, I can taste it already! If you have left overs, I like to throw them back in the slow cooker for a couple hours with Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce and you end up with a delicious, zippy pulled pork for day two of the pork roast party! Gotta love your slow cooker, right?