I recently learned how to make pulled pork. I had never cooked a pork roast until a few months ago when my cousin had us over for dinner and explained how easy it was to make. The pork roast itself a pretty inexpensive food item. I’m able to get 2 meals for my family of 5 with one roast when cooking it this way. You can use the meat in a number of recipes, however, I prefer to keep things simple and use the finished meat in sandwiches.
Materials you will need:
- Crock pot
- Slotted spoon
Ingredients you will need:
- 12 ounces chicken stock
- pork roast
- 1 tsp salt, pepper and garlic
- 5 small chopped shallots
- Baby Rays BBQ sauce
To make pulled pork:
- Combine all ingredients, except the BBQ sauce, in a crock pot. I prefer seasoned pepper and large grandual sea salt, but any salt and pepper will do.
- Cook on high for at least 4 hours. Pork is ready when it separates easily using just a wooden spoon.
- Separate pork completely in crock pot. Add 1/4-1/2 cup BBQ sauce and simmer for 1 hour.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove pork from crock pot, place in another bowl. Make sure to drain as much liquid as possible. Add another 1/4 cup BBQ and stir thoroughly.
- Scoop servings of pork on to sliced potato rolls and enjoy.
Tip: if you don’t have chicken stock, combine chicken bullion with 2 cups of water. Add a little extra seasoning for flavor.
The average pork roast will yield approximately 15-20 potato roll sandwiches depending on serving size of pork per sandwich.
I prefer Baby Rays BBQ sauce, however you can use your favorite or make your own. You can add more sauce if you’d like. I’ve found that letting the pork simmer in the sauce for an hour really ties in all the flavors and helps reduce the amount needed to make a really yummy meal.