Make some decorate your patriotic celebrations with easy DIY pom poms using basic paper streamers in patriotic colors. You can decorate with the crepe paper, creating bunting or pretty streamers to show off your patriotic flair, then make these cute little pom poms to add a extra touch. This is an easy patriotic craft you can whip out on your own in no time or sit down and create with the kids!
Easy DIY Pom Poms
Remember making mini pom poms out of yarn as a kid? If not, don’t fear, this tutorial makes it super simple. Instead of yarn, I used paper streamers I bought at the Dollar Tree – can’t beat buying craft supplies for a buck!
Materials you need:
- Crepe paper streamers
- Cut cardboard into a rectangle approximately 3″ x 6″. The size of this piece is directly related to how big or small your pom poms can be.
- Layer the colors of paper you want to use and wrap around the cardboard at least 7 times. The more you wrap, the thicker your pom pom.
- Slide the wrapped paper off the cardboard and tie a ribbon around the middle. Be careful to not tie to tightly to prevent tearing the paper. This ribbon can be used to hang your pom poms later, so make it long enough to tie and hang.
- Cut the edges of the paper, first cut the end of the loop and then cut toward the ribbon in strips.
- Carefully fluffy the pom pom pieces by gently pulling and moving them around until you get the desired look.
Pom Pom decorations can add a little extra fun to the look you are creating. Making your own pom poms using crepe paper is an inexpensive and fun activity you can even do with your kids. Group pom pom together to create neat variations to the look of your party decor as well.