Looking for a last minute treat to make for your July 4th celebrations? Here's a delicious, quick treat you can make today, before you head to the BBQ. Grab yourself a box of white cake mix, some patriotic colored sprinkles and vanilla ice cream and in just a couple hours you'll have tasty, homemade ice cream sandwiches to share. You could get even more creative by adding food coloring to create red, white and blue treats.
Easy Ice Cream Sandwiches for July 4th
First you need to make the cake mix cookies:
- 1 package of white cake mix
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup patriotic colored sprinkles
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix until blended.
- Drop by teaspoon 1-2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet
- Bake at 350°F for 12-15 minutes of until done (some flavors of cake won’t turn golden brown)
Makes approx. 4 dozen.
Multi-task: While the cookies are baking, put your ice cream in to cupcake tins and freeze. Fill each cupcake mold about 1/2 full of ice cream and smooth down. Put back in the freezer so they harden.
Next, make the ice cream sandwiches, here's how.
- Make sure the cookies are cool so you don't melt the ice cream before you make your sandwiches.
- Put the ice cream from each cupcake tin in between two cookies, wrap with plastic wrap and put back in the freezer.
Tip: to easily remove ice cream from tin, dip cupcake tray bottom in warm water for 15 seconds.
When you are ready to serve your sandwiches, pull out of the freezer and let stand for 15 minutes or so (not in direct sunlight, you don't want to melt them, just thaw them slightly).
TIP: If you over-bake your cookies, they will become really hard when frozen, so take care not to bake too long. Chewy cookies freeze much better and are easier to eat.
For more yummy fun, check out my other Cake Mix Cookie ideas and recipes.