Make this cute winter birdie felt ornament in no time with the help of your Cricut Machine. This hand-stitched Christmas project is easy to make and can be customized in your favorite colors. Make one or make a whole flock and then give as a gift or hang as an ornament for the holidays. This felt winter birdie makes an adorable, personalized gift accent too!
Today's DIY Christmas project is part of a fun group project sharing Christmas ornaments you can make. We all made ornaments, sent them as secret gifts to each other and are now sharing the tutorials so you can make the ornaments and share them with your friends too. Read below to see all the creative ornament ideas.
Make a Cute Winter Birdie Felt Ornament
This little birdie is really simple to create. If you know how to hand-stitch, it will take you no time at all. If you aren't familiar with hand-sewing, you can easily use fabric glue or hot glue to assemble the bird. Pick your favorite felt and vinyl colors for this project or follow along to create the exact look I did, it's up to you!
- Cricut Maker® machine
- Cricut Design Space™ software
- Winter Birdie Design by Jen Goode
- Cricut Easy Press® or Iron (read my review of the Cricut EasyPress)
- 12″ x 12″ Light Grip Cricut® mat
- Light Blue and Red Felt
- White Thread and sewing needle for hand-stitching
- White Glitter Iron-on Vinyl
- Black Iron-on Vinyl
- ⅛” Wide White Ribbon
- Follow onscreen instructions to create each design layer. Make sure to change material settings and blade for felt vs iron-on vinyl.
- Apply vinyl to one piece of the bird design as shown using your Cricut Easy Press® or Iron.
- Stitch bird pieces together, sewing ⅛” along the edge of the cut shape. Leave a space open at top of head and fill the stitched bird with polyfil.
- Finish stitching the bird shape. Sew hat in place.
- Sew ribbon as a hanging loop to the body of the bird, right before the head. Sew scarf onto front of bird, covering the ribbon stitching.
- Optionally add decorative stitching and accents if you’d like.
Tip: If you aren’t comfortable with hand-sewing, you can hot glue this birdie project together too.
You can make this ornament too! Check out the Cricut Design Space project, complete with cut files and instructions available now.
More DIY Ornaments You Can Make
Find more festive holiday ornaments you can make. Check out all of the great DIY ornament projects created by some of my talented friends. Pick your favorites and have fun creating!