Everybody loves an Ugly Sweater Party, so why not greet your party going guests with a fancy schmancy Ugly Sweater Wreath. This is a fun DIY Christmas craft that you can make by yourself or turn into a group activity. Use recycled materials, kids craft supplies or your favorite bucket of glitter to decorate your wreath and make the best ugly sweater decor ever! This project was originally designed as a Cricut project, however you can make it with a printable and a pair of scissors too.
I'm sharing this ugly sweater party idea as part of a group round up today – 13 bloggers joining together to share their favorite ugly sweater creativity AND a $130 paypal cash giveaway! Keep reading to find out more info about the other projects and how you can win.
Ugly Sweater Wreath
I created this ugly sweater wreath to be make using ugly sweater cut files and art I designed for use with the Cricut Explore cutting machine. If you don't have a Cricut – you can buy get one (and love it forever) OR, keep reading and adapt the project to use my free printable ugly sweaters. For this tutorial I'll be sharing the Cricut instructions.
These Cricut cut files can be customized, re-cut and used again and again to decorate and accent your entire Ugly Sweater party. Use the same files to make cupcake toppers, ugly sweater party garland and all kinds of party goodies. Have fun with it!
Materials you need:
- Cricut Explore Cutting Machine
- Ugly Sweater Cut File designed by Jen Goode (image: M8D1D6B)
- Christmas Accents cut file designed by Jen Goode (image: M8D1A2D)
- Variety of card stock – colors and patterns. (Use my plaid printables if you'd like)
- Ribbon (I used curling ribbon)
- A wreath to decorate
- Glue and Scissors (I used hot glue)
Note: You can use my Cricut project canvas as a starting point for your own sweaters if you'd like.
- Prepare your wreath – I started with a homemade wreath that I wrapped with wide red ribbon and then green, red and gold decorative ribbon.
- Cut and customize paper ugly sweaters. You can Print then Cut ugly sweaters or cut the design out of your favorite patterned papers. I printed my own patterned papers and then cut the sweater designs. The cut file includes a draw/write line that adds a fun outline accent for each sweater cut out. I also combined the Christmas accents cut file with the sweater cut file to create some Print Then Cut sweater designs.
- Add extra accents or decor to your paper sweaters. I hand drew some designs on some of the paper sweaters. I also cut out some of the Christmas accents (reindeer and tree and joy ornament) and then glued them on to individual paper sweaters. Do whatever you like to fit your own taste and design style. You can also set out the sweaters at your party and have your guests decorate each one and then add the finished pieces to your wreath.
- Adhere the finished paper ugly sweaters to your wreath.
- Add a bow, hang and enjoy!
Extra: make little hangers out of pipe cleaners and then attach to the wreath or include the hangers as extra accents on the wreath.
You can truly create your own custom ugly sweater wreath – design it however you'd like!
More Ugly Sweater Party Ideas
[justified_image_grid thumb_spacing=25 row_height=200 aspect_ratio=1:1 limit=0 recent_posts=yes recents_tags=”ugly-sweaters”]
Even MORE Ugly Sweater Party Ideas
Check out all these fabulously fun ideas for your next Ugly sweater party. there are 12 other bloggers sharing their creative ideas – take a look!
Ugly Sweater Fudge Favors from The Cards We Drew
Ugly Sweater Coozies from Create Craft Love
Ugly Sweater Ornaments from CRAFT
Meowy Christmas Ugly Sweater Idea from Crafting in the Rain
Ho Ho Ho Ugly Sweater from A Girl and a Glue Gun
Ugly Sweater Gift Tag from Oh My Creative
DIY Ugly Green Christmas Sweater from This Scattered Life
Personalized Ugly Christmas Sweaters from Beth Watson Design Studio
Ugly Sweater Necklace from Just Between Friends
Ugly Sweater Invitations from Occasionally Crafty
Ugly Sweater Contest and Awards from Polka Dot Poplars
Ugly Sweater Decorations from Organized Island
If you weren't planning an ugly sweater party, I bet you are now aren't ya!? What's your favorite Ugly Sweater party idea?