Make pretty paper star ornaments in just minutes. This is an easy paper craft using your cutting machine and a free SVG file I’ve created. Create these ornaments from your favorite patterned papers, cardstock or color paper. I like to use a thick, textured, white cardstock and add my own color using paints and glitter.
Embellish or paint the ornaments when you are finished assembling them, or leave them as is. This SVG file comes with the star design and the mini beads so all you need is the twine to hang them.
Make Easy Paper Star Ornaments
Materials you need:
- Cutting Machine
- Star ornament SVG file (download below)
- Twine, yarn or thin cord
- Things to embellish with such as glitter or paint
How to assemble paper stars
Putting these paper stars together just takes a few simple steps. You’ll want to make sure you have clean hands and nimble fingers to attach these star edges together. I had painted earlier in the day when I first made one of these stars.. I ended up with little blue specks from my blue finger tips! I know, common sense… I like blue paint I guess.
- These steps can be adapted to your own cutting machine set up, I’ll walk you through how I made these with my Cricut and Design Space.
- Download the SVG file below and upload it to your Design Space account. Load the design into a new canvas in Design Space.
- Set all the fold lines to be scored and attach the lines to the item they are scoring. I also attached everything together so it would be easier to move around in the cutting preview screen.
- Cut 6 sets of the design. I actually set up 12 copies on a single 8.5″x11″ sheet of paper, that’s about the max to cut if your stars are approximately 2.5″ wide.
- Once you have all the items cut, remove them from your cutting mat. Fold along all score lines.
- Apply glue to one side of a star. Press and hold another star to the glue so the edges of both stars line up. Repeat this process until all but one (1) pair of sides is glued together.
- Cut a 12″ piece of twine and fold in half. Tie a knot about 2″ from the fold (this is your top) and another knot about 2″ from the bottom. Place twine in the center of the star. Glue last star sides together, moving the twine into the center of the entire piece.
- Repeat the process of glueing paper edges together to make the mini beads for the top and the bottom of the star. This can get tricky if you have bigger fingers, you can apply the beads first and then the star if it’s easier to maneuver.
TIP: use your fingernails to press the corners of the paper edges together. Press and hold for 10-30 seconds to ensure your corners are nice and sealed.