Making a beautiful piece of word art design doesn't have to take hours… but it can look like it took you hours! The key to making hand painted art quickly is using quick techniques and fast drying paint. Use a light hand (don't just glop on the paint) so the paint will dry more quickly too. There are a ton of great tricks and techniques to making craft projects and DIY decor in very little time.
Ombre Word Art Decor
Materials You Need:
- Two coordinating colors of fast drying paint
- I used a peach and pink from the Decoart American Chalky Finish line. This paint dries SUPER fast.
- Paint brush
- Texture cardstock
- Smooth cardstock will work just fine, I like the extra texture added to my art.
- Wordart cut out and cutting machine
- This love art design is available through the Cricut Design Space.
- If you do not have a cutting machine, you can fake this part of the art easily although the project creation time might take a little longer. I'll share some tips below.
How to make your own ombre word art decor
- The first thing you want to do is paint your paper so it can dry while you set up your cutting design.
- To paint the paper, grab your paintbrush and start at the top right corner, painting from right to left with one color. Next, using your second color, paint from the bottom left corner left to right. Allow the colors to overlap. I did not change brushes for each color, it's ok to have a little of each color on your brush so the ombre blend works with the colors you are painting. Work the paint until you have the look you want. it shouldn't take much. Just paint light layers and don't over paint. Set aside to dry.
- Next set up your cutting design. I used the Cricut Design Space and my own Love Heart art. You can find this in the Cricut Design Space library.
- Size the image to about 4.5″ tall. Click GO and in the cutting mat view of Cricut Design Space, center the cutting design where you'd like it to cut on the paper.
- Once the paper is dry (should take about 3-5 minutes), place the paper on your cutting mat to coordinate with the orientation you set up in the cutting software.
- Cut the design. Remove all the pieces from your cutting mat. Glue everything in place on a second piece of cardstock.
- Trim and frame.
If you do not have a cutting machine…
You can either hand cut a design out of your painted paper, cut a design out of a second piece of white paper or print out this free printable and frame it.
Go Make it! Head over to the Cricut Design Space and start creating this Handmade Love Art.
More projects using this Love word art cut out designed by Jen Goode for Cricut
You can make so many different pieces with this art. Make a card for someone special or make decor for yourself. Have you created something with this pretty little love heart art? I'm so excited to hear about it!
More projects to Make in a SNAP!
This project series was inspired by the ever so creative Abbey from The Cards We Drew. Here's the scoop.. this week I'm attending my 3rd annual SNAP Conference in Salt Lake City. I'm spending time learning, brainstorming and connecting with some 400+ creative bloggers. Abbey suggested we all join forces and share our favorite quick crafts, aka Crafts in a SNAP. So get ready, today I'm going to show you how to make this Pretty DIY Ombre Word Art Decor piece. You can absolutely make this in under 15 minutes! This is just one of many fantastic projects you can make in no time. I hope you love them all!