I absolutely L.O.V.E. snowmen! I collect them (yes, more than penguins) and I love when the winter decor hits the store shelves and there's more snowman goodies to inspire me. This year, as I was roaming through the holiday decor aisle at the local Target I noticed a really cool sparkly white and charcoal gray line of Christmas and winter items. I really like the look! So, I decided to make some snowmen inspired by this modern twinkle finish and I'll show you how you can make them too…
Materials you need:
- 2 different sizes of Smoothfoam balls
- Silver and Brown Crafter's Paint
- Diamond Dust
- Fabric scraps
- Tiny twigs (I cut mine from a bush in the front yard)
- Craft Glue (I used Beacon 3-in-1)
- Small paintbrush
- Pointed Stylus
How to make Winter Snowmen Decor
- Make a small flat area on the bottom of the smaller ball (head) and at the bottom and top of the bigger ball (body). This will allow the head and body to fit better together and the entire snowman to sit on a shelf a little more easily.
- Glue Smoothfoam balls together. I used tape to hold them together tightly while they dry.
- Paint the Smoothfoam bases. First cover completely with silver. Then, while paint is still wet, lightly go over with brown. This will create more of a old silver look. Allow to dry.
- Apply sparkle effect. Pour Diamond Dust on a paper plate for easily access when you need it. Repeat painting technique on the snowman head and body, while paint is still wet, spoon Diamond Dust over the entire piece. Set aside to dry.
- Use a stylus or similar object to create a small hole on either side of the snowman body, apply glue to each hold and insert twigs for arms.
- Tie fabric scrap around neck for scarf.
I debated a while about adding faces to my snowman decor. You could use clay to make a carrot nose and coal eyes and mouth if you'd like. Use some fabric scraps to make tiny mittens and a top hat too if you'd like. This painting technique I used is very versatile and can be used to create a number of coordinating decor pieces. You don't need to use a lot of paint for these projects so you should have plenty to go around.
Happy Snowman Making!
2 thoughts on “Make Sparkly Snowmen Decor with Modern Look”
Love, love, love these! It’s nice to see a modern twist to the traditional snowman. Thank you for sharing these!
This is so cute! I made something similar but with no glitter – I love your “blinged up” version much better! 🙂