I know, I don’t love the Christmas invasion before December 1st anymore than you. Seeing decorations and craft supplies come out well before school starts in the summer just makes me so un-excited. That said, I have an assignment and I agreed to share, so get your best holiday grin on and check out this easy to make Christmas wall decor. I think you’re going to love it!
First let me point out the focus… make something with Smoothfoam craft balls and adorable new Christmas themed buttons from Buttons Galore and more. Easy peazy! Plus because I was feeling a bit sparkly on crafting day, bonus material, Twinkles craft paint from DecoArt.
My original idea what to make little ornaments. However, I made the ornaments and decided they were really kind of goofy by themselves so I turned the decorative balls into a wall hanging piece inspired by the look of jingle bell belt straps. So here’s what I ended up with…
Materials you need:
- 3 Smoothfoam balls – small
- 3 buttons of your choice from the Santa and Friends character button set from Buttons Galore and more
- Red and green Craft Twinkles paint from DecoArt
- 1/2″ coordinating ribbon
- 1.5″ Ribbon (I used a red sparkle ribbon)
- 1″ Ribbon (optional, I layered ribbons)
- Hot glue and glue gun
- Paint Brush
Instructions to make your own Christmas wall decor:
- Paint the foam balls. Let dry between coats. You may need 2-3 coats for complete coverage. I put a piece of wire through each ball so I could hold on to the wire and paint the entire ball, then hang to dry.
- Wrap ribbon around center of each ball and glue in place.
- Glue 1 button on front of each ball.
- Create “belt strap” style hanging piece. Cut a 2′ piece of large ribbon. Fold top of ribbon and glue to itself to create a loop. Repeat at the bottom. Because I used a shear ribbon, I layered it with a thicker, not as wide, piece of ribbon. This allows the glue to take hold better.
- Glue each ball to the front of the ribbon strap.
- Make a large bow and attach to the top of the wall decor. (I glued the bow in place, but you can tie it if you’d like.)
- Hang and be proud of your fabulous need holiday decoration!
Now the extra fun part. This post is a part of this month’s challenge with the Designer Craft Connection. Click here to check out the next crafty idea. I’d love to hear what creative fun you’re up to today!