Have you ever made homemade Christmas ornaments? Today I have an SVG cut file for you to use to make a whole pile of pretty little DIY ornaments! You can use plain cardstock or get fancy with glitter and metallics. This is a Christmas Cricut project you can make year after year and still create different ornaments each time.
I've partnered with some of my favorite creative people to share a bunch of free Christmas SVG cut files with you today. Check out my handmade ornament project and then scroll below for even more DIY Cricut ideas.
Making Homemade Paper Christmas Ornaments
You can use a variety of paper and cardstock to make paper Christmas ornaments. The Cricut machine makes it easy to create fancy cut designs to decorate your tree or your entire home for the holidays.
I've created an SVG cut file just for this project. The file includes a number of layers you can mix and match to create all kinds of Christmas projects. You can make different ornaments just changing up which layers you cut. This homemade ornament uses a single cut shape in the set, layered together to create a 3D ornament.
How to Make Paper Ornaments
These paper ornaments can be customized in a number of ways. The most basic idea is to decide on the number of layers you'd like to use. In my example, I used 5 layers, but you can try 3 or even 6.. play with the look to see which you like best.
- Upload the ornament cut file to Cricut Design Space.
- Ungroup and resize the decorative layer you'd like to use. Make sure to set the score line to SCORE in Design Space.
- Send the design to the mat. Adjust the cut quantity to cut 5 copies of the design. Arrange on the mat however you'd like.
- Fold each cut design along the score line.
- Apply glue to one side of a cut shape. Line up the second cut shape, press and hold in place to adhere together.
- Repeat until you've applied all the cut shapes into a single 3D ornament.
- Applying the twine: You have two options for applying twine to your ornament.
- you can simply wrap and tie the twine around the top of the ornament at the neck of the ball shape.
- you can add a length of twine to the center of your ornament before gluing the final two sides together. If you choose this method, make sure to create a knot at the top and bottom of the twine so the twine doesn't slip out of the center of the ornament.
Homemade Christmas Ornament SVG Cut File
Download this Christmas SVG file for free today and start creating your own paper Christmas ornaments. This design includes multiple art layers to mix and match however you'd like.
More Christmas SVG and Project Ideas for Your Cricut
Get ready to get extra crafty for the holidays! Here are 15 more Christmas projects you can make with your Cricut. Each project includes a FREE SVG file you can use for all kinds of Christmas craftiness. Have a blast!
Pick your favorite Christmas SVG cut files or pick them all. There are so many great designs here, you'll be crafting for DAYS!
- Elf (Movie) Quote
- Hallmark Movie Watching Shirt
- Merry Christmas Y'all
- Baby's 1st Christmas
- Farm Fresh Christmas Tree Sign
- Cookies for Santa Plate
- You Serious Clark?
- Baby, It’s Really Freaking Cold Outside
- Baking Spirits Bright
- My Favorite Color is Christmas Lights
- The Stars are Brightly Shining
- Christmas Calories Don't Count
- It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Shopping
- You'll Shoot Your Eye Out (Christmas Story)
- I'm A Christmas Songs Kinda Girl
What kind of fun Christmas crafting are you planning this year? With all these SVG files, and my easy homemade Christmas ornament tutorial, you are set to make piles of fun projects! So get out that Cricut and start DIYing all kinds of Christmas fun!