This DIY Disney jewelry project is pretty simple to create, especially if you are already familiar with Cricut Design Space. You can get the Mickey ears design right from Design Space and use my own rainbow print to get the color design I'm using.
To create the Mickey heart design in Cricut Design Space
- Select the outlined Mickey head from the Cricut design library.
- Ungroup the design.
- Click Contours. deselect the inside circles of the Mickey design. This will create a Mickey cut file as a solid shape.
- Add a heart shape from the “shapes” menu on the left of Design Space.
- Place the heart in the center of the Mickey head. Select everything and click slice. This will cut out the heart shape from the Mickey head and leave a cut out shape of the heart as well. Hide the heart by clicking the eye icon on the layer pallet.
- Repeat step #5 with a circle to create the jewelry circle in each piece.
For the earrings specifically, I cut the original size to at about 1.25″ tall. The shrink plastic will shrink about 50% it's original size.
Steps to make your own Disney Jewelry:
- Download the rainbow art (below).
- Print rainbow art on printable shrink plastic
- Set up the cutting design you'd like in Cricut Design Space. Line up the cut designs with the placement of the color blocks on your printout. Just measure the placement on your printout and then align the cut lines on the virtual mat in Design Space.
- To cut the shrink plastic you need to just the shrink plastic through repeated cuts. I did 3 cuts at the cardstock setting and then 2 cuts at the poster board setting. The cut pieces then need to be carefully removed. Using the weeding tool is helpful, just be careful not to tear the plastic.
- Once you have all your plastic cutouts removed, place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and back for 5-10 minutes until completely shrunk down. You'll know the shrinking is finished when the plastic is no longer bent, smaller but flat. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Add the jewelry findings to create earrings.
- Optionally apply sealer to both sides of each earring. I really like the Decoart brand Triple Thick. When it's dry it looks like a resin, high shine finish… very pretty.
Tip: to ensure your plastic is as flat as possible, place a piece of parchment paper on top of the plastic pieces as soon as you remove it from the oven and press down using a hot pad. Do not use your bare hands, you will burn them!