I love making mini crafts. Objects that are small and cute are just so much fun to me. I like the challenge of trying to make something smaller than usual. So recently when a friend asked if I had any ideas of crafts for girls to make for their dolls, I created a printable party set for dolls with mini clay cupcakes. The materials to make these pretend cupcakes are inexpensive so you can make a whole batch of them if you’d like. You can also decorate your pretend cupcakes however you like to show off your own personal style.
For this project I used Model Magic clay because it’s super soft and easy for small hands to work with. It’s an air dry clay so you don’t need to bake it or worry about safety issues for kids. You could use another clay or even salt dough if you like. The type of clay you can determine how your project turns out… not all clay is easy to work with.
Materials you need to make a mini clay cupcake
- White Model Magic clay
- Craft paint
- Glitter or glitter paint
- Seed Beads
- Craft glue
- Small red bead
Steps to make mini clay cupcakes
- Work the a small piece of clay into the cupcake base.
- Roll out a snake piece of dough
- Wrap snake around base until a top forms
- Twist tightly until excess clay pinches off of top – this will create a swirled top of the “frosting” on the cupcake.
- Set aside to dry for at least 48 hours
- Paint cupcake ad desired, let dry.
- Apply glitter, allow to dry.
- Apply glue on top of frosting area, dip into seed beads, allow glue to set.
- Apply top cherry bead and allow to dry thoroughly.
This project coordinates with a printable set I created too. You can make a full party set for your dolls complete with party hats, invitations and even cupcake wrappers (neat huh!?). Check out the full party printables for dolls tutorial on DollDiaries.com. I’d love to hear what you come up with and if you make these cupcakes too.