Need a quick and easy St. Patrick’s Day treat? Make yummy Shamrock cake mix cookies for St. Patrick’s day! Cake mix cookies are super fast to create and you can use the dough to create your own special shaped cookies. It’s like making art with your cookie dough, the kids are going to love this edible craft!
How to make Shamrock Cake Mix Cookies
This is the same idea as my Spring Cake mix cookies. Instead of making butterflies with heart-shaped cookie cutters, you’ll be making shamrocks. The shamrock shape of these cookies is made up of 3 heart cookie cut outs. If you’re in a big rush, just make standard round cookies, you can add green coloring and decorate with shamrocks or 4 leaf clovers if you’d like. I used 2 different sized hearts to create the Shamrock cookie designs.
You can also create these cookies with sugar cookie dough or any other dough that works well with cookie cutters.
- 1 package of cake mix (regular white cake works great!)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup oil
- Green food coloring
- Decorating Frosting
- Sprinkles and other decorations
Making cookie dough from cake mix
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix until blended.
- Mix in food coloring until you get the shade of green you’d like.
- Roll into a ball, wrap with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
Making Shamrock Shapes
- Roll out dough on parchment paper. Use cookie cutters to cut dough into heart shapes for shamrock leaves. Roll small “snake” shapes to use for stems. Assemble pieces and make sure dough is touching for each individual shamrock.
- Add a little detail to each leave by using a smaller heart shape and pressing lightly. Do not press the cookie cutter all the way through the dough, you just want to leave an impression.
- Bake at 350°F for 12-15 minutes or until done (some flavors of cake won’t turn golden brown).
- Allow to cool, then decorate with the frosting of your choice.
Tip: I love using parchment paper when making fun cookies. Instead of covering my workspace with flour, I just use a sheet of parchment paper and the dough works wonderfully!
Remember When you first mix the dough, it will end up pretty soft. This makes it difficult to work with and won’t hold the shape very well, so make sure to allow for time to chill the dough before creating your shamrock shapes.
I hope you have fun making these yummy shamrock cake mix cookies! The kids will have a blast helping and you can give a handmade treat to the neighbors! Check out my other yummy Cake Mix Cookie Ideas. I’d love to hear what you create.