Let’s gather the kids and make a sand painting kid craft today! This is a great activity for the whole family. While you are making this kid craft, you can talk about American history and explore a fun art project inspired by Native American art. I’ll show you how to make your own sand and then create a sand painting with it. You can also use the free printable as a coloring sheet or a painting project!
Today I’ve joined up with my friend Alli from Made with Happy to share this Native American inspired art project. All month she has been hosting a kids craft series focusing on crafts from around the world. I chose the Native American theme because I have a little Native American in my own heritage. I don’t know a ton about my ancestry, but I’ve always loved the art and talents of our American history.
Sand Art Kids Craft
Make your own colored sand
You can make your own colored sand or buy pre-colored sand for this fun kid craft idea. We made colored sugar but you can also use salt. Just put some salt or sugar in a container, add some food coloring and stir until the color is mixed in and there are no lumps. I used empty glass spice jars so we could save extra colored “sand” for another project. Plus, the spice jars are great for sprinkling the colored sand if you keep the lids.
Materials you need:
- Colored sand
- Mod Podge or glue
- Small bowl
- Paint brush
- Art to “paint” – download the free printable below
- Pour glue or Mod Podge into the bowl. You only need a little bit.. start with maybe 1/4 cup or less.
- Use the paint brush to brush adhesive on the art design. Only brush a little glue on at a time. We painted 1-2 shapes at a time.
- Sprinkle sand on to wet adhesive, covering completely. Make sure to only use one color of sand at a time so you can save the excess as you go along.
- Carefully pour excess sand back into the container.
- Repeat applying adhesive and sand until the art is finished how you’d like it.
- Allow to dry thoroughly.
You can mix and match colors however you’d like. Choose classic Native American colors such as red, blue or yellow.. or get really creative and use your favorite bright colors. This sand painting kid craft is great for the whole family. You can paint the glue on for your younger kids or help them sprinkle the sand.
Head over to the Kids’ Crafts from Around the World page from MadewithHappy.com for more fun kid craft ideas!