Do you ever want to make brightly colored Halloween decor or maybe just Halloween garland but then remember it snows in October and paper would be ruined? If you didn't say yes, you are lucky to live in one of those warm states! Colorado usually has snow some time in October, so making any outdoor Halloween decorations with paper is really a waste of time. So this year, I'm trying out a new product called Olyfun. It's a poly fiber that cuts as easily as paper, can be drawn on, glued and used in a number of projects but isn't paper… so it won't fall apart in wet weather. YAY! Today I'm sharing this easy Halloween garland project I created using Olyfun.
You can make this Halloween garland as fancy or detailed as you'd like. I, of course, doodled a little on my cut pieces but you could leave the drawing off, add glitter glue or whatever other embellishments you'd like.
Materials you need:
- Variety of colors of Oly*fun – black, kiwi, orange, orchid
- Yarn or twine
- Paint pens or Sharpie markers
To make this Halloween Garland
- Cut shapes from the Olyfun. I cut basic rectangles, triangles, strips of color and then cut out some end details to make mini banner shapes.
- Draw on the pieces you'd like to decorate using a paint pen or Sharpie marker. I used a black Sharpie marker and a Sharpie paint pen in white.
- Add a line of glue to the back at the top of each banner piece and gentle press yarn on the glue.
- Add additional layers of Olyfun to various banner pieces and adhere in place with glue.
- Allow to dry and hang as desired.
* Create a BOO sign by cutting Olyfun in desired letters and gluing to background piece of Olyfun. I added extra drawings to each letter as well. Embellish how you'd like.
You can make a long line of the Halloween garland to decorate all around your yard and home. Add garland to the garage or on the trees. As long as you use a good glue – not water washable – you can create all kinds of outdoor Halloween decor with your Olyfun! If you make this project, I'd love to know. Come back by and tell me about it!