Today we’re making easy hand-cut heart garland. You can use it as a fun activity, a quick Valentine craft or an accent on a bigger project. I love to create paper projects with my Cricut Explore, but today I am going to show you how to cut these pretty little paper heart garland pieces, no cutting machine required! I think they would be perfect for accents on your Valentine cards and gifts too.
Easy Hand-Cut Heart Garland
For this paper craft, you can use any color paper you’d like. Thin paper is easier to cut in layers, so experiment to see how thick your paper needs to be. I added my own color to plain why paper using watercolors and water-based markers that I blended with a water brush.
- Free heart garland template – download and print below
- Fold paper in an accordion style fold.
- Cut the paper so that you create half a heart. Cut top of paper, creating a rounded edge.Cut the bottom of the heart at an angle to make the heart point. Make sure to NOT cut all the way through to the round cut you’ve made, you want the hearts to stay attached.
- Cut a smaller half heart inside the larger heart you just cut. See template for a cutting guide.
That’s it! You can make these heart garland pieces in all different shapes, sizes and colors. Keep in mind, when you fold the paper, the fold line is the center of your heart. I usually unfold my paper and look at the size between folds to make sure my sizing is what I am looking for.
Practice and you’ll be able to eyeball the spacing pretty quick. Funny side note – look at the pictures above. There were a little ball of Hello Kitty Duct Tape stuck in-between the handles of my scissors and I didn’t notice until I finished cutting. Little extra craft love, right? Ha!
More Easy Valentine’s Crafts
All this week I’m sharing fun and quick Valentine’s craft ideas all with Angie from The Country Chic Cottage and Carolina from 30 Minute Crafts . Check out all the fun featured projects designed by 8 creative bloggers below.
Take a look at all these Quick Valentine’s Day Crafts
Carolina created these fun Stamped Valentine’s. I love a reason to get out the stamps!
Angie created these super cute Emoji Treat Bags. Love this idea!
- DIY Valentine’s for Teenagers from Jennifer Gallacher
- Twist Tie Valentine’s from The Silly Pearl
- Love You To Pieces DIY Valentine Card from Simply Kelly Designs
- Puffy Paint Doilie DIY from Jennifer Priest
- XO Valentine Mug from One Artsy Mama
- Valentine Gift Box from Mrs. Greene
- 15 Minute Crocheted Pillow DIY from Duct Tape and Denim
I hope you have fun with this Easy hand-cut heart garland craft project. What will you do with the garland you create? I’d love to hear about your ideas! You can leave a comment below, stop by the 100 Directions Facebook page or tag me #jengoodeart to share your own fun creations.