I love making banana bread. It's easy, the kids love it and this banana bread recipe can be adjusted but it still turns out delicious! This and apple butter are my favorite fall treats to make. I made a batch last week and forgot the sugar but the bread was still pretty yummy! I played with a recipe out of my old Betty Crocker cookbook, adjusting the sugar, adding apple sauce and using coconut oil instead of butter. I've make notes in the recipe below for using butter if you don't have coconut oil.
- 2 mashed bananas – I prefer over-ripe bananas, but any will work.
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 1 egg
- 2 table spoons coconut oil
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
Substitutions: Cinnamon is optional – Coconut oil can be replaced in the exact amount for butter or margarine. I use applesauce to add some extra moisture (I'm in the dry state of Colorado, remember) and the applesauce adds some sweetness so I can cut down on the sugar. If you like a sweeter bread, the original recipe calls for 2/3 cup of sugar.
Favorite Banana Bread Recipe
- Combine all the wet ingredients in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine 1 cup of flour and the other dry ingredients.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet mixture until thoroughly mixed. Slowly add in remaining flour.
- Pour into baking pan. I use mini bread pans so I can make 4 mini loaves at once. Muffins or a full size loaf work well too.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the top is slightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place on cooling rack for 30 minutes.
- Remove from baking pan.
Tip to keep banana bread moist. I like to wrap 3 of the 4 mini loaves with plastic wrap until we are ready to eat them. This locks in the moisture and the bread stays fresh longer. The 4th loaf usually gets eaten within 30 minutes of coming out of the oven. Sometimes I make honey butter to serve with the bread… but usually it's just good old natural butter. Yum!
Remember I said I make 4 mini loaves? Sometimes I share a few of the mini banana breads. Last week I sent some off to my son in college. I can't seem to send packages without little notes, so I doodled up a happy bread tag. Soooo, I've turned that tag into a printable you can use when you share your own yummy bread. Yay!
Loaf of Love gift tag 2.29 MB 1078 downloadsLittle gift tag for bread gifts by Jen Goode ...
There are two blank loaves on this printable so you can write up a note, share a recipe or whatever you'd like. The blanks are designed in reverse so you can also use them as a little back to the front art… make a card if you'd like!
I'd love to hear what you think of this banana bread recipe. I hope you enjoy the free printables too!