These cheesy garlic mashed potatoes are the most delicious thing on the planet! (except maybe home made New York style cheesecake), but really, if you love mashed potatoes or you adore garlic mashed potatoes, these cheesy mashed potatoes are da bomb! They are creamy and cheesy and oh so yummy. This particular batch I made using red potatoes, but you can use whatever kind of potatoes you'd like. Adjust the recipe to fit your own flavor preference, any ingredient, with the exception of the butter and milk, can be removed or adjusted.
Cheesy Garlic Mashed Potatoes
This is an all time favorite recipe in our house. The cheese and garlic are super tasty together, full of flavor and really can't be beat. Sometimes I leave out the cheese and just make yummy garlic mashed potatoes. However, I always include the cream cheese. The cream cheese adds a little extra flavor to the potatoes and definitely helps make them creamier… oh so good! You can also add cream cheese to regular mashed potatoes… garlic or not. Try it, it's so scrumptious!
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled.
- 2-3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons garlic herb seasoning.
- 1/4 cup milk (approximately)
- 3-4 slices American cheese
- Shredded cheddar cheese
A note about garlic seasoning. You can use whatever kind you like. I tend to pick herb mixed that include ingredients that make the dish pretty too. For this recipe I love the Simple Organic brand – there's lots of delicious texture and flavor in this blend.
How to make them
- Cook (boil in salted water) your peeled potatoes until soft. Drain liquid.
- Add butter, cream cheese and garlic seasoning. Mix with a fork until butter and cheese are melted into the potatoes.
- Add american cheese by tearing the cheese into smaller pieces and mixing until melted.
- Add milk, mix thoroughly. You can add more milk if you'd like to thin the potatoes out a bit more.
- Top shredded cheddar cheese and garnish with a touch of seasoning.
That's all.. make sure to save yourself a spoonful before you serve these yummy mashed potatoes or you might find they are all gone because you serve yourself!
Mixing potatoes. I prefer to mix by hand. I used a hand masher (see the fun photo below?) and then I use a fork to mix the ingredients together. However, I have also used an electric mixer and for really big batches I've used my Kitchen Aid mixer. Use whatever tools you prefer. If you like super creamy mashed potatoes, an electric mixer will accomplish that much quicker. I like a little potato lumpiness.