I love making banana bread. I love how the house smells after the bread bakes. I love the flavor of butter on warm banana bread. It’s a great breakfast treat or a snack any time of day. We sometimes eat it with dinner too. This recipe uses a little less sugar and even in Colorado, the bread turns out nice and moist.
When you think your bananas have had their last stand, all mushy and brown, that’s a perfect banana for bread making. If your short on time and can’t make bread right away, pop the bananas in the freezer. When you’re ready for bread making, just thaw the bananas, mash as usual and you’re good to go! Funny – a friend of mine came over and noticed I have a giant grocery bag full of brown bananas, I think she was a little worried. I tend to keep everything and have a hard time throwing things out. But no, I’m not usually in the habit of storing old food – bananas however, they are a perfect candidate for using when you think it’s too late.
- 1 1/4 c. flour
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 1/3 c. applesauce
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 c. mashed ripe bananas (2-3 medium bananas)
- 1/3 cup softened butter
- 2 TBS milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional but highly recommended)
How to make Banana Bread Muffins:
- In a large mixing bowl combine 1 cup flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In another bowl combine banana, butter, milk and applesauce and eggs.
- Combine the dry and wet mixtures and beat with electric mixer on low speed until blended, then on high for 2 minutes.
- Mix in the remaining flour.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack for at least 10 minutes.
- Serve warm or wrap with plastic wrap to save for later.
- Makes approximately 18 muffins.
Sometimes I drizzle honey on top of the bread fresh out of the oven so the honey melts into the top as it cools. One of my favorite things to make!
If you love this recipe – check out my traditional Banana Bread.
Or you might also like making muffins instead of cupcakes drizzled with yummy glaze.