There is a baby boom going on in my neighborhood! In the last month 4 babies have been born on my block and there is one more on the way in the next few weeks – not to mention a few other babies out in the internet universe where I mingle. So when Tiny Prints was asking for bloggers to share their thoughts about unique baby shower ideas, I couldn’t help but jump in.
Traditionally, baby showers have been focused on the mother-to-be. Now, however, there is a amily baby shower trend , the idea is to host a couples shower, celebrating both parents and their growing family. However, when there are already children in the family, many times there is no baby shower. Families choose to reuse what they have so don’t need the assistance in baby purchases. I’ve always thought of baby showers as a way to celebrate the arrival of a new family member, and when there is reason to celebrate, there is always need for a party!
So I was thinking, wouldn’t it be nice to come up with a way to celebrate the new baby, have a party for the occasion, but also make it an exciting experience for the siblings?
Here are some family baby shower ideas:
- Plan the party for after the baby is born so friends and family all have a chance to meet the new arrival and welcome him or her into the world. This will also give others the opportunity to share their excitement for the “new big brother” or “new big sister”, encouraging the important the sibling’s new role in the family.
- Make it a family event, invite friends and family for all members in the expectant family including siblings best friends (and their parents).
- Ask the new sibling to help MC the event, announcing game winners, passing gifts to mom and dad to open, etc. If you host a party after the baby is born, the sibling could also introduce the new baby to the guests.
- Instead of gifts for the needs of a new baby (because the family will be reusing what they already have), include gifts for the sibling. “Big Brother” t-shirts, baby dolls for the “little mommy”, etc.
- Ask all the guests to sign a guest book specific for the older sibling, sharing their excitement and “congrats for being the best big brother ever!”.
Party ideas, games and food for a baby shower for the whole family.
If you’re planning the party after the baby is born, try to have the sibling/s help plan the event. This will give the sibling something fun to do relating to their new brother or sister and it will help keep the sibling occupied while mom and dad care for the new baby.
Here are a few suggestions the whole gang will enjoy:
- Keep your theme simple – “family fun” is a nice generic theme that will accommodate a lot of ideas into one mood. If it’s not a first baby, colors ideas can come from a variety
- Make a diaper cake – they’re easy, practical and super cute. Find fun small baby items and incorporate them into the cake after you assemble the main pieces. Things like ointment, washcloths, small baby toys fit nicely. (I’m a bit biased, I adore baby diaper cakes!). Best diaper cake tutorial on YouTube.
- Serve snacking finger food such as veggies, cheese and crackers, mini quiche, fruit kabobs, brownie-bites and other yummy bite-sized treats. With kids running around and the excitement of family, friends, new babies and gifts… the last thing you need is a messy, saucy food item spilling all over the floor. You could also host the party as a pot luck event to keep the costs low.
- Have the sibling help pick out the games to play, the prizes or favors and even the baby shower invitations. Kids often times pick the most fun things to do, so really get into the spirit of the family event with the siblings helping all along the way.
- Make cake mix cookies instead of cupcakes or traditional cake. They’re an easy treat to make and a lot less messy with the kids. You can frost them as you would a cupcake or you can eat them plain as is.
My Favorite resources for baby shower ideas, gifts and party accessories:
- Invitations and thank you cards from Tiny Prints
- Planning a Baby shower at BabyCenter.com
- Printable baby shower games from BabyShowerGamesAtoZ.com
- Unique Baby Shower Favors & Gifts at Beau-Coup
- Shutterfly Baby Photo Books
- Tea Collection for Tiny Prints
Whether you are planning a baby shower for a first-time parent, or a parent of 12 (can you imagine??), it should always be able family and the joy of a new family member entering the world. What could be more memorable than celebrating together?
To all the recently expectant parents I know… Congratulations and happiness to you!!
I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and Tiny Prints blogging program and received compensation.