I love making this beef stroganoff recipe because you can change it up depending on what meat you have available and it's pretty darn inexpensive to make. I don't usually measure everything out for this one, I go more on flavor for the day. However, just for you I will give a few measurements to work with. Also, I adjust the sour cream a bit depending on if my husband is home for dinner or not. He's not a sour cream fan, so I add a litte less when I know he'll be eating the food. This feeds my family of 5 with one serving left over… so we'll say this serves 6 people.
Ingredients you need:
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2-2/3 cup sour cream
- 2 table spoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 standard sized package egg noodles (12 ounces)
- Meat – see below for details
- Additional seasoning such as pepper or onion or garlic to taste
A note about the meat. You can use a variety of cuts of meat for this stroganoff. Lately I've been using a pre-cooked brisket from Costco. It comes in a plastic package already seasoned and cooked and is SOooooo tasty (can I say Damn good here? It's my show, right?). However, this recipe also works great with left over meat, anything from hamburger to steak. No matter what you use, make sure to cut it into bit sized pieces and add about 1 pound of meat. I haven't tried it, but I bet you could replace with baked tofu or eggplant if you are vegetarian.
How I make beef stroganoff:
- Cook meat adding whatever seasonings you like. Set aside.
- Combine the soup, Worcestershire sauce and sour cream in a large skillet. Cook at medium heat until hot.
- Stir in meat and let simmer while you cook the noodles.
- Cook noodles. Egg noodles cook relatively fast so make sure to watch that they don't get mushy.
- Drain noodles and pour into sauce skillet. Stir. Let simmer for 5 minutes, stirring to prevent noodles from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
That's it! Throw it on a plate with a nice green salad and you are set for the dinner! Even my youngest kids eat this.. so either they are starving or it really is yummy.
You could add in some onions when cooking the meat or extra seasoning depending on the flavors you'd like to add. Beef stroganoff is a really simple meal, quick to make and works well if you have leftovers.