If you're like me, you might be looking for decorating ideas right now, the actual day of the celebrations. We are a patriotic family and of course we are full of American pride, but my red, white and blue decor is MIA at the moment. I usually wait until the last minute to decorate my own home.
I think I put so much creative juice into projects for others, I run out before my own house gets any glitter. But no worries, I work well on last minute details and this project is a great example. You can make this entire red, white and blue star garland in 30 minutes or less. This patriotic project uses the Cricut machine and my own original star art. However, if you aren't currently a Design Space user, just skip on down to the bottom of this article to find out how to get a free printable with star art you can use instead.
Make a door wreath like above using your own patriotic art, or use the star cut outs to make your own cool garland like this image below.
To make this quick Patriotic star garland project, you need to start with my Clouds of Inspiration design in the Cricut Design Space to get these stars. The inspiration cloud art includes clouds, inspiring words AND the cute stars you'll be cutting to make your garland today. The bonus here, you'll be able to use this cut file for a ton of other projects, not just American Pride projects. YAY! Here's the full details…be aware, you aren't going to find all kinds of fancy photos of my front door. I literally just made this project this morning and it's the only patriotic project I've made for this holiday weekend. We're calling it a bonus!
Materials you need:
- Cricut Explore and Design Space account
- Clouds of Inspiration Design #M7189A by JGoode Designs
- Silver pen for the Cricut Explore (this is the pen that comes with the machine)
- Variety of cardstock in Red, White and Blue. I used two shades of blue.
- Glue – I used mini glue dots, but most any adhesive should work.
How to make Patriotic Stars garland
- Log into your Cricut Design Space Account and start a new project.
- Choose Insert images and search the library for design number #M7189A. Select this image and insert it into your project.
- Hide or delete all elements in the design EXCEPT the stars. Then resize the individual stars to the size you'd like. Copy and paste some of the stars so you have duplicates that you can resize as well.
- I use standard 8.5×11″ pieces of cardstock, so I resized the stars to all fit on a single sheet.
- Click “GO” and then rearrange the stars to fit in your cut space. If you are using 12×12″ cardstock, you don't have to worry about rearranging the elements.
- Then cut (and draw) as many pages as you'd like. I cut 1 each of red, white, dark blue and light blue.
- Once everything is created and removed from your cutting mats, glue the stars together in garland design.
- Hang and enjoy!
You can add extra bling, or simplify and cut less stars. Use the stars to make little wands or as giant confetti for your party table decor. If you don't have a Cricut Explore yet, don't worry… grab my patriotic stars free printable and cut out the stars to make your own fun Red, White and Blue inspired garland.
Don't have a Cricut Explore?
Download the free printable Star art here:
I hope you and your family have an amazing holiday weekend. God Bless the USA and all the Freedom we enjoy to create all the amazing things we can create. I'd love to see what you create, tell me about it!
4 thoughts on “Make Easy Patriotic Garland Decor with Paper and Your Cricut Machine”
Okay maybe this is why I haven’t used my Explore yet (besides the lack of space)… I’d spend all my money on your designs! :p
LOL! just do it – you already have the equipment… and theres TONS of free projects. I’m excited to see you love it 😀
Okay next time you come to the SF area, you have to help me clean up my area and we’ll get all crazy crafty lol
you got it!