This chicken vegetable soup recipe is a regular recipe in my house. It's quick to make and full of warm and cozy flavor. This classic soup recipe can be made as is or used as a base for a more loaded soup like Chicken and Rice, Chicken Noodle or even used as filler for Homemade Chicken Pot Pies.
Today's recipe sharing is inspired by Natasha over at Houseful of Nicholes. The last few years she's been hosting an annual blog hop with recipe creators around the web. See below to find links to this year's yummy soup recipes. Last year I shared a family favorite, Creamy Butternut Squash Soup.
How to Make Homemade Chicken Vegetable Soup in 30 Minutes
This Chicken soup is filled with bites of juicy chicken and delicious veggies. To make it quick, I use an Instant Pot. However, you can cook it on the stove in a tradition pot or in the oven with a lid. However you prefer, the steps will be the same but the time to cook may change a little.
- Chicken – 2-3 thighs or 1-2 breasts
- 1 cup Chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup peas
- 32 ounces broth – I use Pacific Unsalted Chicken Bone Broth
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic, Thyme
- 3 Tbsp Olive oil
A note about the chicken. I like to use frozen chicken in this soup. It seems to help create a delicious, juicy bite if the chicken is cooked straight from the freezer rather than thawed before cooking.
Let's talk bone broth for a minute. There are a ton of different bone broth brands out there. We've started using bone broth in my house for health reasons. It's really healing and healthy and makes for a fantastic starter in a variety of recipes. I use it instead of water for our rice, gravies, sauces and more. Broth ingredients are important to me but I don't always have time to make my own. So, I did some digging. My two favorite bone broth brands are Bonafide and Pacific. Bonafide is more difficult to find and a little more expensive. I think it is a better quality broth, but for every day use, I really like Pacific. It's got minimal ingredients and comes in an unsalted variety.
How to Make Chicken and Vegetable Soup
I use an instant Pot for all my soups because I can easily sauté ingredients, add additional ingredients and cook the entire soup in one pot. You will do just fine using a regular pan on the stove top.
- Start by combining olive oil, onions and celery. Add in about 1 tsp of salt and garlic. sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the frozen chicken, broth and additional veggies. I use frozen peas and carrots just for ease. Fresh, chopped veggies are just fine too.
- Add an additional 1-2 tps of garlic, 2 tsp of thyme, 2-3 tsp of salt and 2 tsp of pepper. You can always add in more seasoning if you perfer later.
- Cover and set the cook settings to soup, but reduce to 30 minutes. My Instant Pot soup setting is a 40 minute cook time, which you can do, but 30 minutes should be plenty. I sometimes use the “rice” setting as well. Really the only concern is if the chicken is cooked through, so cook time will depend greatly on how large your chicken pieces are.
- Once you've release the lid, check your flavors, add any additional seasoning and that's it!
Souper (wink) quick and easy, right!?
This chicken soup recipe is a must for any cold day. Make a big batch and store in single serve jars in the fridge for later. I like to make it for soup and sandwich night. It's so easy to make, it is faster than ordering a pizza and much better for you!
More delicious soup recipes to try
Take a look at these tasty soup recipes.
- Vegetable Beef Stew from Houseful of Nicholes
- Chickpea Chicken Soup from Day by Day in Our World
- Hearty Instant Pot Hamburger Soup Whole 30 Approved from Simplify Live Love
- Simply Delicious Instant Pot Clam Chowder from Life of a Ginger
- Homemade 30 Minute Chicken Vegetable Soup from 100 Directions
- Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup from Mama Harris’ Kitchen