Do you use yarn in your crafts? I'm seeing it more and more but I don't have yarn craft skills. I don't crochet or knit. However, I do love a good quick craft that I can tie some yarn into. So today I'll show you how to you can decorate pencils with yarn without any special yarn talent. I'm going with a Dr. Seuss inspired theme because it's kind of fun and funky, but you can use any colors you'd like. Tomorrow I'll show you how to make the pencil holder using a recycled can.
Yarn Wrapped Pencils
A girl's got to decorate her drawing tools once in a while. Dr. Seuss style is a fantastic inspiration for decorating that doodle supply!
- White twine
- Red Twine
- Glue (optional)
- You can use yarn if you prefer, I had twine on hand so that's what I used.
How to step-by-step
- Wrap both red and white yarn around the pencil once. Leave a tail of the yarn – about 3-4″. Do not cut the yarn from the yarn ball.
- Pull the cut end of the yarn over the top of that first wrap and hold the end near the eraser of the pencil.
- Continue to the wrap the pencil, toward the eraser, covering the tail.
- Once you reach the base of the metal eraser holder, tie off the yarn. Tie into a bow (or a knot if you prefer) and cut the excess yarn.
- Optionally, apply a bit of glue to the knot of the bow to ensure it stays tied in place.
Check back tomorrow and I will show you how to make the yarn wrapped pencil holder.
For more super quick and fun Dr. Seuss Inspired crafts, check out the whole list at The Country Chic Cottage.