Do you use yarn in your crafts? I’m seeing it more and more but I don’t have yarn craft skills. I don’t crochet or knit. However, I do love a good quick craft that I can tie some yarn into. So today I’ll show you how to you can decorate pencils with yarn without any special yarn talent. I’m going with a Dr. Seuss inspired theme because it’s kind of fun and funky, but you can use any colors you’d like. Tomorrow I’ll show you how to make the pencil holder using a recycled can.
Yarn Wrapped Pencils
A girl’s got to decorate her drawing tools once in a while. Dr. Seuss style is a fantastic inspiration for decorating that doodle supply!
- White twine
- Red Twine
- Glue (optional)
- You can use yarn if you prefer, I had twine on hand so that’s what I used.
How to step-by-step
- Wrap both red and white yarn around the pencil once. Leave a tail of the yarn – about 3-4″. Do not cut the yarn from the yarn ball.
- Pull the cut end of the yarn over the top of that first wrap and hold the end near the eraser of the pencil.
- Continue to the wrap the pencil, toward the eraser, covering the tail.
- Once you reach the base of the metal eraser holder, tie off the yarn. Tie into a bow (or a knot if you prefer) and cut the excess yarn.
- Optionally, apply a bit of glue to the knot of the bow to ensure it stays tied in place.