I seem to always be running behind and it's usually because I'm trying to do too much. So, this dirt and worms Halloween treat is a perfect sweet to whip up in no time for parties and other fun Halloween events. I use instant pudding mix, but you could use your own homemade chocolate pudding recipe if you prefer. Your kids can help too, while you're making the pudding, have the kid crush the Oreo cookies for the topping.
Ingredients you will need:
- Chocolate pudding
- Oreo Cookies – just the cookie, not the cream filling
- Gummy worms
Supplies you will need:
Bowl, spoon, individual serving containers (I bought little plastic cups with lids at Walmart), plastic bags.
How to make Dirt and Worms Halloween Treat:
- Dis-assemble the cookie and cream from your Oreos. We take the top of, scrap the cream into a bowl and set the cookies in another container.
- Crush the cookies until they resemble potting soil/dirt. To crush the cookies, I put the cookies in a zippper baggie (sandwich bag) and let the kids pound on it until the cookies were crushed.
- Make chocolate pudding in a large bowl. Scoop into individual serving containers.
- Top the pudding with “dirt”.
- Add a worm to each serving. We cut the worms in half so we could double the quantity.
Tip: to make the worms look even more messy, stir them in the Oreo “dirt” to lightly coat.
You could add other dirt creatures to your treat if you'd like… think bugs and spiders. Or if you are feeling sweet, try adding a small flower or something from a fairy garden or forest gnome.
We didn't try it, but my daughter suggested we try including the Oreo cream in the “dirt”. She thought it might look like the little white fertilizer specs you see in some potting soil. If you try it, I'd love to hear how it turns out!
Do you have a favorite Halloween treat recipe?
Happy sweet snacking!
7 thoughts on “Dirt and Worms a Quick Halloween Treat”
I did this years ago and put the Oreos in a blender. The cream filling almost disappeared! You can make it as fine or course as you’d like. It was really easy. Thanks for the reminder! Fun treat.
Thank you so much for the tip, I bet the “dirt” is more moist with the cream included too. I’ll have to try it!
I just use the whole cookie and it works great.
That sounds fabulous- Thank you for sharing!
I have also tried this recipe with brownie mix and it turns out really well.
Ohhh, great idea, I will have to try out the brownie mix. Thank you so much for sharing!
all I do is follow the brownie mix directions on the box & then crumble it up after it cools then as i am putting it in small bowls to serve, add the worms.
The idea came to me while i was eating a gummy worm, I was trying to think of creepy recipes for my first Halloween Party and it hit me.