Do you ever wish you could just grab a color palette you see out in the real world? Create your own Color palettes from the world around you, artwork you’ve created or anything you can take a photo of with the Adobe Color App. Previously called Adobe Kuler, this free color app is available for both ipad and iphone, there’s also a free color tool on the web.
This app collection allows you to create color palettes using a variety of methods. You can choose colors from the color wheel or you can upload a photo and pinpoint specific colors within the image. Online you can upload an image, on the mobile app you have the choice of selecting from your image library or taking a new photo. Once you are finished creating your color palette, you can save the creation to your Creative Cloud account*.
Adobe Color App
what I love about it
- Ability to capture colors “out in the wild” from your mobile device and save them for use later.
- Super simple interface to create color palettes easily and quickly.
- Ability to use photos to create color palettes.
- Color selections are displayed in CMYK, RGB, HEX, HCB and LAB codes.
- Extra color theme rules include monochromatic, triad, complementary and more.
- Download your palettes as .ase files to import elsewhere.
- Share your color palettes with a click of a button.
- Browse the community of color themes and collect your favorites.
- Save your color palettes to your Adobe CC account and have access to them across all your Adobe cc apps.
Take a look at all this awesome color inspiration! The follow images are screen shots all taken from the desktop version of Adobe Color.
The only thing this app is missing for me is the ability to copy a color palette. What if you love the palette you’ve created but you need a second version with a little tweak? You could go in and manually create a second version of the palette, but I would love to just click and copy. BUT, the app is free, and full of great tools, so I’m not complaining. Long Live the Color!
Download your own free copy of Adobe Color CC for your mobile device from the itunes/app store. Or head over to the Adobe Color website. Start saving your favorite color themes in no time! Look for this logo when looking for the app…
*To use the mobile tools and to save your color palettes, you do need an Adobe Creative Cloud account – it’s free and super quick to set up.
Other color apps I love
- Saturation – its a super cool game kind of app.Just a fun little time passer.
- Color Schemer – another great color palette tool that’s gotten great reviews. This app has a few different features from the Adobe Color app – definitely worth a download.
Do you have a favorite color app or tool you love?
Happy Color Playing!