Yes, you read that right, make a hat out of duct tape, it’s too cute! There are so many cute colors and patterns of duct tape available. You can mix and match or make something in a solid color. I used a set of pink that I received as part of a Designer Challenge. See below for a Westcott Brand® cutting tool giveaway bundle.
Note: You’ll want to make sure to measure and leave extra room in the crown of the hat so that it fits correctly. Adding layers of duct tape to a precisely measured piece without extra room can result in the hat being too small.
Materials you need:
- 1 roll Hello Kitty The Duck Brand® Patterned Duct Tape Rolls
- 1 roll hot pink The Duck Brand® Duct Tape
- Wax paper
- Westcott Brand® Titanium Bonded Non Stick Scissors
Tip: You can use a material other than wax paper if you’d like. I found that wax paper allows for moving the tape around, preventing wrinkles and over sticking. If I made a mistake, I could easily remove the tape and try again.
How to make a Duct Tape sun hat:
- Start by first measuring the circumference of the head that is going to be wearing the hat. This is the crown measurement. Next over a large square of wax paper with duct tape.
- Cut it into a circle. Cut a hole in the middle that is 1-2″ bigger than measured hat size. Set this smaller circle aside for later use.
- Create another sheet of wax paper and duct tape that is 1″ longer than the measured hat size and 3 strips of tape tall. Tape the ends to together creating a cylinder, overlapping by 1/2″.
- Using smaller pieces of tape, join the tube and base of the hat on the inside. Fold/gather the base piece periodically, this will create more of a ruffle effect on the brim of the hat. Once the entire brim is attached to the top from the inside of the hat, tape the outer edge using small pieces of tape, approximately 3-4″ long.
- Finish the top of the hat. Measure to make sure the hat is not too tall. If the hat is too tall, you can tuck extra height into the top.
- Using the smaller circle you saved earlier, tape to the top of the cylinder along the outside edge by folding the cylinder under the circle. You will need to fold the edges as you tape to create more of a rounded look.
- If the crown is still to square in shape, add more creases and tape in place.
- You should end up with a rounded crown.
- Finish the hat by covering the inside of the crown of the hat so no wax paper is showing.
- Add extra details using tape such as a flower, a hat band, etc.
How to make a duct tape flower:
- Make a 3″ square of duct tape, tape on both sides so there is no sticky side.
- Cut into a circle.
- Repeat to make a 2″ circle.
- Cut a small hole in the center of the larger circle.
- Pinch the center of the small circle to create a cone shape.
- push the point of the small piece through the hole of the large circle. Pinch to create a cone with the circle layers.
- Apply a tape around the pointed end of the cone to hold in place.
- Optional: Make a 4″ circle and repeat the steps to create a 3rd layer to your flower.
Tip: For a more detailed looked, cut a scalloped edged around the circles.If you’d like to learn how to make the doll dress, visit DollDiaries.com for my full duct tape doll dress tutorial!
Disclaimer: Although the supplies in this project were given to me, all opinions are 100% my own.