Visiting my in-laws we had this delicious french toast breakfast. My MIL prepped it ahead of time so all she had to do in the morning was pop it in the oven and within 30 minutes we were munching on fantastically yummy morning food. I’d love to try this as a make-ahead meal for every day use too… I’ll let you know how that goes once I try it.
- 9 eggs
- 3 cups Half-and-half
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rum extract
- 24 slices of french bread or texas toast (3/4 thick)
- Cream cheese 1 package
- Chopped walnuts or pecans
To make easy overnight french toast
- Grease 2 large baking pans (15x10x1″)
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients EXCEPT bread and powdered sugar; beat until well blended.
- Place bread slices on baking pans.
- Pour egg mixture over bread.
- Lift and move the bread around to ensure each slice is well covered and egg mixture is absorbed.
- Spread Cream cheese on each slice of bread then sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Cover and place in refrigerator or freeze overnight.
- Heat oven to 500 degrees.
- Place baking pans (uncovered) in oven (do not thaw). Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. There should not be any liquid mixture left if baked through.