Get out the Crayola Play Sand, we’re making a fun craft today! You can decorate mason jars to create patriotic vases in just minutes. You don’t need a ton of supplies and even the littlest family members can help! We’re showing you 3 different styles to spark your creativity, let’s go get crafty!
DIY Patriotic Vases with Crayola Play Sand
I picked up a bag of blue Crayola Play Sand at my local Walmart for under seven dollars. You can buy larger bags of play sand on Amazon too. There are a variety of colors to choose from, so you can pick up a few bags and make all kinds of pretty summer crafts. We chose blue to brighten up the jars for July 4th. In just a few minutes we turned basic mason jars into fun vases, perfect for our upcoming birthday party!
- Crayola Play Sand – Blue
- Mason jars
- Mod Podge
- Sponge brush
- Painter’s tape (optional)
- Plastic spoon
- Small container to hold the sand
- Container of water and paper towel to wash brush when you’re finished
Thank you! This video was sponsored by BSM media on behalf of Crayola Play Sand.
- Tape design on the jar or you can freehand your design on the jar.
- Apply Mod Podge on the jar where you’d like the sand.
- Using a spoon, sprinkle sand over the wet Mod Podge. If you have a large surface or design, you will need to apply Mod Podge and sand in section so the adhesive doesn’t dry before you apply the sand.
- Allow to dry for a few minutes before peeling off the tape.
- We did not apply any kind of spray sealer as the sand is already weather resistant. However, you can apply a coat of Mod Podge or spray sealer to help prevent sand from sprinkling off your jars with use.
We created 3 different designs for our jars, really only two designs and then the third jar we simply filled with sand, easy peazy, right?
Check out the video above for details.
Do you have a favorite play sand craft? I’d love to hear about it!