This is THE BEST sausage gravy and biscuits you’ll ever eat, and it’s all because of the sausage. Jimmy Dean Maple Sausage is like no other, believe me, I’ve tested! Before I get too far in, I have to tell you, I was asked to share about Hillshire Brands™ products and Jimmy Dean Sausage in exchange for compensation, however I’ve been meaning to share this recipe with you for a few years now. They can’t pay me to tell you how much we love this. I hope you do too!
About 11 years ago, when my husband and I were first married, I was teaching myself to cook new things and asked my hubby what his favorite food was. Without hesitating, he said “Biscuits and gravy!”. I’d never had it let alone made it, but I had seen it on a number of diner menus. So I decided to take a stab at making biscuits and grav and I faked it all the way. Turns out, this is seriously the best biscuits and gravy recipe he had ever have and to this day, 11 years later, he still compares all others and hasn’t found one to top it. Yes, he loves me, but he would tell me if there was something I could do to improve it… the secret ingredient… Jimmy Dean Maple Sausage!
Those of you who may have had or know how to make real sausage gravy and biscuits, don’t judge. My kids beg for seconds. My oldest, who never eats breakfast and almost always prefers spaghetti over any other option available for a family meal, LOVES biscuits and gravy day. My husband who eats Cheerios every day and eats just about anything I make. They all act like we just won the lottery when they smell this sausage cooking -they know what meal I’m making. I’d love to hear how the real recipe is made, but I won’t be replacing this one with anything else…
The sausage makes a difference! I have tried other sausages with this recipe. I’ve even tried other breakfast sausages and also a few maple sausages. The flavor from the Jimmy Dean brand Maple Sausage is the magic that makes this biscuits and gravy so addictive. Don’t worry about the maple if you’re not a fan of sweet. It’s not a pancake syrup kind of flavor, it’s just a nice breakfast yumminess. Now, if you are sure you don’t love the maple, replace it with another one of the 6 delicious flavors of Jimmy Dean Sausage. Regular would be a good safe choice, Chirizo might just be awesome!
Sausage Gravy and Biscuits Recipe
I have made homemade biscuits and I have used pre-made biscuits. You can even top off toast with this gravy. For this recipe I am leaving the biscuit prep choice up to you. In my photos, its pre-made, bake-in-your-own-oven, Pilsbury Grand biscuits… my goto for easy, yummy biscuits.
- 1 package Jimmy Dean Maple Sausage
- 4 cups Milk
- 1.5 tsp Beef Bullion
- Seasoning: Garlic, Seasoned Salt, Seasoned Pepper
Steps to make Maple Sausage Gravy
- Cook up the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat. As it cooks, break it up as much as possible, it makes it easier to use in the gravy later.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove all the sausage in the pan but leave the grease. If there are tiny meat crumbs left behind, that’s ok, you just don’t want a big bulk of meat at first.
- Pour milk into the same skillet and gently stir to mix in whatever was left in the pan. Stir in your bullion, a little season pepper and garlic/salt to taste. Let simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
- While the milk is simmering, use a fork to break up the meat a little more. We don’t like huge chunks of meat in our gravy so I sometimes put the meat in the food processor. But, you can get small pieces pretty well with a fork.
- Thicken the gravy. Using a separate container (I use a large, glass measuring cup), add about 1/2 cup of the milk mixture and set aside for just a minute. Pour sausage into milk mixture and stir. Allow to simmer another 5 minutes. Create a thickener (rue?) to add to your gravy by stirring flour info the milk you’ve set aside until you have a dense, pancake-like sauce. Pour this mixture into the milk and sausage and stir. Within 3-5 minutes the gravy should thicken. If you’d like a thicker gravy, repeat this step.
- Our favorite part! Put a biscuit on a plate, cover in sausage, eat.
More Breakfast Ideas:
Non-breakfast but sure sound delicious Sausage recipes
- Homestyle Kielbasa and Potatoes
- Chicago Style Hotdogs
- Spicy Sausage Wraps
- Chicken, Sausage and Veggies Skillet
I really love making this breakfast. The Jimmy Dean Maple Sausage is delicious, the family loves the gravy and it’s soooo easy to make! You can add other seasoning if you like. I suggest tasting after you add the sausage to the milk and let it simmer… this is when all the flavor really starts coming through. I like putting garlic in everything, but you can leave that out all together if you’d like. The bullion and the seasoned pepper really make the flavor pop! I hope you enjoy – if you try this recipe, stop back by and tell me about it. I’d love to hear what you think!