If you use WordPress with Thesis theme to build affiliate websites, and you've been wanting to use Popshops, but not sure how to set it up, here's a quick tutorial to help you get started. I use Popshops for a number of my sites because I like including links products I use and recommend yet oftentimes these products are available through different merchants. I can design a nice clean grid layout that is easy to up date and includes affiliate links right through my Popshops account that integrates nicely in my WordPress pages and posts.
Popshops offers a number of options depending on which account type you have. If you are unfamiliar with this service, check them out. This is an awesome tool to help you promote products as an affiliate from multiple merchants with relative ease and low maintenance. If you have a premium Popshops account, you can set the links on your website to appear to be a link from your own domain and redirect to the merchant you are promoting.
Here's how to set it all up…
Let's first assume you have:
- WordPress installed
- using Thesis Theme for WordPress
- The WordPress plugin Exec Php installed and active
- A premium Popshops account
To make it work you need to:
- In the Popshops admin, set up your Popshops “shop” with the products you'd like to display.
- Cut and paste the resulting PHP code into a post or page within your WordPress admin where ever you'd like the shop to display.
- Now go back to your Popshops account admin and for the same “shop” click on “preferences” and then select the “link redirection” tab.
- Here you need to check the box to indicate “Have all product redirects point to your own domain.”
- In the center of this tab there is code you need to copy.
- Now go to your WordPress install to paste the above code.
Go To: wp-content > themes > your thesis install > index.php
- Paste the code from Popshops link redirection preference tab to the very top of Thesis Theme index.php page. You only need to do this once per website as this code is general use for all popshop code. Now any other “shops” you create and display on your website will have the option to redirect from your domain.
Double check everything works by making sure that when you hover over any of your Popshop links, they should be displaying your domain as the root of the link. If they are not, double check that you selected to display the direction for each of your shops.