Here’s a great project to repurpose some of your extra supplies into something that is not only fun, but it’s useful. I had the challenge this month to combine buttons with Fiskars products so I created this handy dandy tool display. Combine a wood ruler with buttons and you can make a neat hook display for your tools too. I made a second version with cute pastel buttons for my daughter’s necklaces. hand whatever you like! This project takes about 30 minutes or less and costs next to nothing – how’s that for an estimate?
Materials you need:
- Buttons in a variety of sizes
- Wood ruler
- Hot glue and hot glue gun
- Hanging supplies – I used 3M Command Strips
How to make your own tool display with a ruler and buttons
- Select your buttons. You will want at least 2 small buttons for ever single big button.
- Using the hot glue, adhere single small buttons along the edge of the ruler, spacing out however you’d like.
- Apply a second small button on top of each of the already places buttons.
- Apply a larger button on top of each small button stack.
- For an extra accent, adhere a small button in the center of some of the larger buttons.
- Attach to your wall or cabinet however you’d like.
Tip: I found that the command strips didn’t stick as well to the wood ruler when heavy items, such as scissors, were hung from the button hooks. So, hot glue the command strip to the ruler and allow to sit for a few minutes before hanging.
To ensure you have enough of a hold with your button hooks, make sure you build your button “stacks” as close to the top edge of the ruler as possible. The two small buttons will big a little big of an edge for the ribbons on the hanging items to rest on.
For more organizing and display fun, use cute colors and the same steps above, to create a necklace hook display for your little girl.