September 16th we Celebrate World Play-Doh day and this year happens to also be the colorful crafting dough’s 60th Birthday! I had no idea Play-Doh had been around that long, I have so many memories creating colorful masterpieces, probably one of my favorite kids crafts… and still is as an adult. Remember the extruders to squeeze our snakes in fun shapes? Or how about the barber shop guys, you could squeeze Play-doh hair our of their heads and then give them a hair cut! So much happy… So today we’re celebrating by creating fun sculptures featuring what we think life might be like in 60 years. Will you join us?
WORLD PLAY-DOH DAY
So many fun things happening to celebrate Play-Doh’s anniversary. Play-Doh is older than I am and it’s still a popular creative product. My kids love it, I still love making with it. I think it’s fabulous they are constantly coming out with new ways to create and fun new toys to make Play-Doh sculptures with.
In celebration of its 60th anniversary, the PLAY-DOH brand is taking fans on entirely new colorful, creatable, makeable adventures! New for 2016, the PLAY-DOH Town segment inspires creative storytelling through the use of figures, characters, and town-themed playsets and vehicles. The PLAY-DOH brand’s milestone year will also bring fun new licensed characters and playsets into the fold, while paying tribute to the classic brand’s past with the reintroduction of several iconic, beloved playsets. A childhood staple since its introduction in 1956, the PLAY-DOH brand continues to captivate the imaginations of children and artists of all ages as it heads into year 60 and beyond!
To celebrate Play-Doh’s 60th, the creative theme is “what will life be like in 60 years.” We didn’t have to think very hard. My daughter and I decided rainbows will be everywhere in 60 years. Tons of glitter and color and of course unicorns. Sounds fabulous, right? So I made a rainbow and she made a unicorn. We also found some glitter Play-doh we’ll be using to make some rainbow flowers. Girly crafting overload!
Make your own Play-Doh fun!
Make your own Play-doh sculptures, take a picture and share them using the hashtags #PLAYDOH60 #WORLDPLAYDOHDAY
I mentioned the glitter Play-Doh, right? Check out this adorable Confetti Play-Doh too! We were sent an Ice Cream Castle Play-Doh playset to try out that came with this super cute dough. I’ll tell you about that later.
WORLD PLAY-DOH DAY / 60th BIRTHDAY FUN FACTS
- The PLAY-DOH brand was born in 1956
- Since 1956, the PLAY-DOH brand has encouraged kids to explore what’s possible. Originally developed as a wallpaper cleaner, PLAY-DOH compound is now the #1 reusable modeling compound, and is sold in more than 80 countries world-wide!
- 4 colors started it all: red, blue, yellow, and white. Now the PLAY-DOH brand has over 50 colors!
- There are 3 main ingredients in PLAY-DOH compound: water, flour, and salt.
- 3 billion PLAY-DOH cans have been sold since 1956
- That’s enough to reach the moon and back THREE times!
- PLAY-DOH compound was inducted into the National Toy Hall of Fame in 1998
- 169 dinosaurs would weigh about the same as all the PLAY-DOH compound sold world-wide in one year!
- You would need more than 631 million PLAY-DOH cans to circle all the way around the world!
- You can fit 172 pennies into one PLAY-DOH can
What will you make today?